Monday, November 4, 2013

Dark skies have returned

So with the time change, it's nearly pitch black by 530 pm. I've always wondered if I have SAD. I think everyone has a touch of it, actually) but I do know I'm pretty deeply affected by darkness.

I like light. I like sun. It makes me feel better. Dark skies and cold air makes me feel sad and lonely even though I'm not actually either of those things. Dark skies make me want to run away and get the out of here. It makes me more anxious, more tired. I have severely low vitamin d levels as it is, so no sun just pulls out the worst in me.

But there's nothing I can do about it. It's michigan and it's winter and this is what happens. I've lived here for 26 years, you'd think I would get used to it. 

So because I don't have a magic wand to put the sun in the sky or make the weather a little warmer, I do what I need to do to get through these next four months. I make sure I take my vitamin d supplements. I write letters. I listen to music. I force myself out of my bedroom I socialize. I laugh. I pray. I read inspiring words. I get through it.

It's not easy and I'm not claiming that it is. We all have these things thrown at us that make it difficult to feel totally at peace. Darkness is one of my things-one of my road blocks. But instead of laying I the ground and waiting for it to be over, I push through it.

Whatever it is blocking you, push through. Together well all get to our happy place and no obstacle is going to stop us.

And spring, come soon. 


4 comments:

N Sizzle said... Add Reply

<3

Rob-bear said... Add Reply

Have you ever tried a light box? Professionally developed for people with SAD. Very helpful.

Blessings and Bear hugs!

Dee @ A Deecoded Life said... Add Reply

I may have slight SAD too. Whenever it rains I get depressed. So I cheer myself up like you do too. You can get through this! *hugs*

Unknown said... Add Reply

I didn't realize I was affected by this until I got a sunroom and realized how much better I felt in the winter. Tanning helps, too, I've heard.