Friday, June 25, 2010

fearless, part 2

Remember the blog I posted about being fearless? If you missed it, or don't remember, here is a short qoute

...Of course, let's not completely forget about our fears, because sometimes we need to be a little afraid. It makes it all the more worthwhile when we accomplish something. I think there is a definate difference between not caring and being fearless. To be fearless means to recognize our fears, and in that moment, say "okay, I'm scared, but I'm going to be fearless and get this thing finished".

Since I posted that blog, I've been trying really hard to put it into practice. It's a daily challenge, because I'd much rather avoid the things that scare me than to go after them. I have two recent examples of ways I've been fearless.

The first is about a relationship with someone. This person and I had a strange...yet relationship to begin with. Basically, I put my heart into it (as I always do) and was then very hurt by their actions. Then, they completley dissappeared form my life. Gone. No goodbye, no explanation...just gone. Until recently, when they showed up again. I was hurt, angry, dissapointed, confused, etc. I sat down a few nights ago and wrote out a letter of all my feelings about the situation and this person. I stored it in my "letters I'll never send" file...until, with a little push from two of my best friends AND advice from Melinda, I decided to send it. I had no idea what the reaction from the other person would be, but I know I needed to send it and do it afraid...because I felt like it was time for me to stand up for myself and recognize my feelings. I waited anxiously for a reply, and, MUCH to my surprise, recieved one just a few days later...and guess what? The response was more than I could have asked for. Not only did I get an explanation, but I got an apology and recognition of my feelings. I am so glad that everything is resolved, and that we can be friends again, because I really missed having this person in my life....it wouldn't have been possible had I not taken that scary chance to say something!

The second is something that will keep nagging at me until February- I signed up to do my first ever 1/2 marathon. It totally terrifies me to even SAY that, let alone DO IT. I am doing it with two of my very close friends, and have several friends that are able to help me train and keep me motivated. I'm so excited about this, ready to take on the challenge and prove to myself and others that I can accomplish it. I'll start my daily walk soon, and then follow the actual training schedule come November. I may do a few 5k's in between to prepare myself. I cannot wait to begin this new adventure, and so grateful for my friends and family that will be supporting me!

So, it's the weekend. Thank the Lord! This week has been really strange for me and I'm ready for a weekend. Everyone stay safe, happy, and fearless.

1 comment:

Shari said... Add Reply

No long, rambling comment from this time. I just have one thing to say: you inspire me, more than you know. Thank you for the fearless reminder and for being such a shining, motivating example to all of us :)