Friday, September 11, 2009

Before I allowed my students to work on homework and testing skills, I asked them if we could take a moment of silence for the victims and families of September 11th. A few students rolled their eyes and one girl very loudly sighed and said "why do we have to do this EVERY year?"

At first I was angry. I felt disrespected, I felt hurt for our country and all of our soldiers who give up their freedom for us. Then I realized that these kids were only between the ages of 6-8 when the terroist attacks occured. Of course they don't care, they don't even know the extent of the pain, shock, and fear that ran through every American that day.

The strange thing is, I was their age. I was a freshmen in high school, had just turned 14 years old. I was sitting in my health class when the announcement was made. I was confused, hurt, scared. I didn't know anyone personally that was in the area, but the fact that so many innocent people lost their lives hurt me deeply. Then there was the VERY quick onset of conversation that Detroit was going to be the next victim, because of the Ren Cen and the automobile industry. I don't know who started that, but it got around FAST. We were all terrified. I remmeber all of us just walking around in a zone for the rest of the day...many classes were cancelled to allow us to watch the news reports. I was just so CONFUSED, I didn't understand how people could be so disgustingly heartless.

In the years following, I've made it a personal effort to learn more about our government, soldiers, and country. I take pride in being an American and hope the same for others.

These kids will never know what happened that day, the same way I will never know the wars, shooting of Presidents, etc. It's just the way history is. For them, 9/11 is just another multiple choice question on their history test.

I read a quote today for the first time that really describes how I personallly feel about September 11th.

"If we learn nothing else from this tragedy, we learn that life is short and there is no time for hate,'' wife of Flight 93 pilot Dahl.

I could not agree more, I wish so much that hate did not exist, there simply is no time or reason for it. I know we will never reach a state of complete peace but I wish that some of us would try a little harder.

On a happier note, today is Mr. Chikezie's birthday. I love that guy (duh). He deserves so much happiness and success and I will do everything I can to help him get there. Happy Birthday, Chikezie.

No comments: