Monday, August 17, 2009

Yesterday was my sister and Dave's one year anniversary. It's weird to say that, since they've been "together" for ten years- I think they should get credit for all ten! I had a project in college when I had to look at the relationships of my parents, siblings, etc to determine their influence on me. I'm lucky to be surrounded by people who have been in strong, loving, selfless, continual relationships. It makes me feel more confident that when I do find someone in my life, our relationship will be the same way. Sometimes it's tough being the only single one in the family, but a very wise friend of mine once said:

"I think when God makes a person as good as you He takes a very long time to choose just the right person for them, and then He waits for just the right circumstances to bring the two people together. I think maybe He thinks you can never take too much care in such an important thing. That's why it takes so long."

I hold onto that quote dear to my heart. Another wise friend of mine told me this right before I left for orientation:

"Don't fall in love too quickly".

Another quote of advice that I greatly appreciate. There's so much pressure about "who are you dating" or "hey, you're next to get married". I'm perfectly content by myself right now, thank you. Sure, it would be nice to have someone, but I'm not about to settle or force anything. This is my time to discover what I want out of life, right? Right. For the two people who told me these things, know that I treasure your advice :-)

Today we had a faculty meeting at Cristo Rey. It was great, as everything has been these past few weeks. We went over the handbook, peer mediation, dress code, counselor, academics, introductions, etc. I also had a meeting about the lunch program. Basically, I'll be at the school in the morning to feed the kids who may not be getting fed at home. I'll be working closely with a group of students with that, and also checking students in at lunch to make sure everyone is eating. It's just a lot of paperwork on Friday's, basically.

I left the meeting in such a wonderful mood. I'm SO excited for the year and to be a part of the school in it's crucial initial stages. The administration and staff are all so VERY supportive of each other, which I think is so important. There's a great mixture in age, gender, and background, as well, which will balance everything out so well.

I guess that's it for now. My schedule is kind of odd these first few weeks. Tomorrow is more faculty meetings, then the rest of the week is 1/2 days for freshmen. Next week is 1/2 days for freshmen AND sophomores, for orientation and training for their work study programs. After labor day, school officially begins. I'm glad that we'll get some time to transition into the school year and meet all the kids.

2 comments:

Shari said... Add Reply

So I know I HAVE to be sounding like a broken record by now, but I am seriously SO happy for you that things are going so well! This truly sounds like an amazing experience, and I'm excited to hear all about it as it continus :)

Anonymous said... Add Reply

Megs.. you are wisw way beyond your years.. here is another quote for you .. you're he greatest!