Monday, March 23, 2015

Getting Through

Hello, friends. I know that there has been more and more time in between my posts. Simply put, I lost a spark for writing. I stopped drafting blog posts in my mind, I stopped writing down little notes to remember for later. I just lost it. I'm not quite sure why other than to say that for the past month or so, my life has been incredibly busy...and yet...incredibly bland.

A few weeks ago I accepted a new position at the American Cancer Society. And yes, that is exciting. But with that change came meetings, difficult conversations, challenges, transitions, and goodbyes. I have been trying to wrap up loose ends with my old position while trying to learn how to do my new role. And that has not been easy. But I am slowly getting the hang of it, learning how to prioritize my time, how to ask for help when I need it and how to apply myself as best I can.

So what happened? I got sick. Of course. I was all ready to post a status on Facebook about how elated I was that I did not get sick all winter. I had a weird flu bug in November, but it lasted 24 hours. Normally, I get bronchitis at least twice between December-March. So I was secretly celebrating the fact that I had remained healthy all winter. And then it hit me. I came down with a nasty sinus infection. I'm not sure if I should blame the weather change or office germs or stress, but I'm going with a combination of all three. I am on day three now and still feeling like crud, but I hope to be on the mend soon.

Getting sick is always a bummer. Sure it's kind of fun to lay on the couch for hours watching Netflix, but it also takes you away from your normal routine and responsibilities. It always gives me a little anxiety to know I'm missing out on opportunities and that things are not getting done.

I was also ready to celebrate that it was going to be my first week of a 5 day workout in several weeks. Because of work responsibilities, my weeks have been 3 day workouts. Which has put a stall on my weight loss. This week, I was ROCKING IT- until I got sick. I was pretty bummed that I didn't hit my calories burned goal this week.

My point in whining and sharing the downsides of being sick are this: Get over it. That's what I told myself. Megan, shut up and get over it. First of all, this icky sinus infection is nowhere near what your cousin Lynn or your dad are fighting so shut up. Secondly, yes, a few days were thrown off- but those are just a few days. It will go back to normal. It will be okay again. So get over it.

Feeling sorry for ourselves is so easy. And yes, we are allowed to say "this sucks". But we also should take great comfort in knowing that whatever it is we are battling will not last forever. There is a way out.

I started watching a new show on Netflix called Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. It's funny and silly with hilarious one liners and pop culture references...and it can be enlightening. One of my favorite scenes so far is when Kimmy explains her "10 Seconds" strategy. Basically, she believes that we can do ANYTHING for 10 seconds, no matter how painful it may be. So she counts to 10, and when she gets to 10, she starts her next 10 seconds. This is something I will take with me...at the gym when I don't feel like getting on the treadmill, at work when I'm exhausted and drained, when I am speaking in a public forum. When I am sick and just want to shut down. I will get through, 10 seconds at a time.

I hope that you all have a great week.


2 comments:

Unknown said... Add Reply

The balance of dealing with reality and moving past it can be tough for sure! I always get the layer of guilt on top of these feelings. :/ you've always got me, babe - reach on out!! Xoxo

Shari said... Add Reply

I hope you feel better so soon!!