Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Weight Loss Wednesday

Today, I don't want to talk about me or my weight loss journey.

I want to talk about you- anyone who is thinking about getting started, or who has made a resolution to get started. Maybe you feel lost, not sure what to do first, or maybe you feel overwhelmed.

I'm sure you've done some research and googled questions about weight loss. And I know there is a LOT of information out there about detoxes and juice cleanses and crazy diets like the military diet that basically require you to starve yourself. And those things scare me, because those things are kind of dangerous. And also, in my experience, don't always work.

Here's what you should do.

Join a gym. It doesn't have to be a super fancy one. Just make sure it's one where you feel comfortable. I am a big fan of group exercise classes because I believe they make you accountable, but not every gym offers them. And that's fine. Just join a gym, talk to a trainer and build your program. There are tons of websites that can help you build a workout. I sometimes use Pinterest- just search workouts. If joining a gym is totally out of your budget, that's fine. You can workout at home. Use DVD's, use the stairs in your house or apartment complex, use your body weight. Another great website is www.workoutlab.com . Use it!

Eat healthy. Healthy= lots of lean meats and veggies. We know this. It's common sense. But we have to actually do it. Eat snacks like almonds, apples, cottage cheese, yogurt. Cut back on carbs, sugar, and sodium. A good trick? When you go to the grocery store, try to only buy food on the outside of the store- not through the aisles. Cut  back on processed, packaged foods. When I don't have leftovers for lunch. I try to make a salad- using lots of greens and veggies and adding in tuna, black beans, or chicken to get protein.

Friends, those are the two things you need to know to do this. And I KNOW you can do this. You have to take a leap and get right into it. And then take your time. Know that you will hit walls. And that's okay. You will learn how to climb over them and crush them to pieces.

And please, if you ever need encouragement, or ideas, or recipes, please reach out to me.

No comments: